…for God and humanity


Strengthening Oyo State Health Facilities in HIV Detection and Care

Lifebuilders Nigeria was one of the civil society organisations chosen for AIDS Prevention Initiative in Nigeria (APIN) Year 3 intervention. The objective of efforts in Year 3 was to strengthen Oyo State health facilities’ detection, referral, and care of HIV cases. Lifebuilders Nigeria was given a target to conduct HIV counselling and testing for 10,000 people; and  Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV for 5,000 pregnant women. These were to be done in 21 Wards across 5 Local Government Areas in Oyo State.

El Collagero 10-16-2015 15_34_27As at September 30, 2015 when the APIN Year 3 intervention stream was closed out, Lifebuilders Nigeria had achieved and exceeded both targets; having counselled and tested a total of 15,059 people. Analysis of the results indicate the following:

  • An HIV prevalence of 0.25 was recorded, less than the State prevalence of 0.6.
  • 62.2% of persons who tested positive accepted to be linked to facilities for care
  • 30% of pregnant women who tested positive were already on anti-retroviral drugs; and the remaining 70% accepted to be linked to facilities for care


In addition to these, health workers from 12 State Health Facilities were trained on the integration of HIV counselling and testing into outpatient department (OPD) services. It is expected that this would increase early detection of HIV cases, hence reduce escalation of the virus to AIDS. The integration of counselling into OPD services would also increase knowledge of HIV in the general populace and engender knowledge and practice of safe behaviours.


  • HIV: Human Immunodeficiency Virus
  • AIDS: Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Contact Us

  • Lifebuilders Nigeria
    6, Ajayi Oshungbekun Avenue
    Ikolaba G.R.A. Ibadan, Oyo, Nigeria
  •  +234 803 374 5604

Follow Us

Like Us On Facebook

Facebook Pagelike Widget